when commissioning an auto locksmith to come out and cut and code new keys to your car , you do so in the belief that they are trustworthy and experienced as well as properly equipped and insured to work on your vehicle .
You would at least expect the to be ;
- properly insured to work on your vehicle
- to have original tried and tested dealer level equipment
- legitimate business where all products and services are properly invoiced and guaranteed
- To supply OEM original parts or alternative guaranteed aftermarket parts
This is the least as a customer that you should expect , however ours is a totally unregulated industry where scammers and the like can ply their trade , the truth is somewhat different to you may expect , for instance ;
- many who trade have no more than a weeks training , some have no formal training at all
- many have no business insurances at all , some have inadequate insurances that doesnt cover them to work on cars , meaning that you would have no legal recourse in the event of damage caused or injury caused .
- many do not use bona fide programming equipment , many use cheap chinese counterfeit equipment that can damage a vehicle in the worst scenario
- many are also not legitimate businesses who dont pay taxes , dont offer or honour guarantees , give no invoices and as such no consumer protection.
- Many by counterfeit copy keys from china that are far from fit for purpose despite looking real
We understand that in current times , everyone seeks out a bargain , we know by the requests we recieve that many customers themselves ask for a cash in hand job , No legitimate business would risk their entire livelyhood on offering cash in hand jobs , in fact if offered a cash in hand job be very careful indeed as you will have no consumer protection and no idea if the person you are dealing with is legitimate and insured .
For a business to offer you a cash in hand job with no reciepts , not only do you risk your own rights and protections , but you also help them commit an ilegal act , no legitimate business would risk any legal action with the law or the HMRC or the vat , so booking such a service is not only foolhardy but also against the law.
Beware of counterfeit keys and remotes , the likes of ebay are full of such products , many wont work for long , you will struggle to get legitimate businesses to work on them for you and you may end up out of pocket when they go wrong , which in many cases they will .
What can you do to ensure you get a good auto locksmith that you can trust
- ensure they are insured
- ensure they have been trading for a long period of time
- ensure they are a legitimate business
- always make sure you get a headed invoice reciept , that states genuine or aftermarket parts , states full cost , states guarantee and warranty period
following this simple advice you will have redress if things do go wrong , will help ensure you are not a victim of a scammer , and will go someway to ensure you have chosen a legitimate business .
not following this advice and opting for the cheap cash in hand option , often ends in tears or costs far more in the long run .
if offered a cheap cash in hand job , then report the company involved to HMRC or trading standards , as they are of no benefit to you or this trade in general.